St Albans has hotels to suit all pockets.....
City Centre hotels (around 10 minutes drive from venue, depending on traffic):
- Premier Inn (on main shopping and market street, newly opened in 2015)
- Clarion Collection Hotel (modern hotel in historic building, adjacent to shops and cathedral)
- St Michael's Manor Hotel (older style hotel in historic quarter)
Out of Town hotels:
- The Noke (Mercure, 2 minutes drive from venue)
- Sopwell House (luxury hotel with spa, 8 minutes drive)
- Premier Inn, Smug Oak Lane, Bricket Wood (5 minutes drive) n.b. take care finding this one - use AL2 3PN, not "Premier Inn Bricket Wood", as Google maps fails to distinguish this Premier Inn from the one in St Albans city centre!
There's also plenty to see.....
- The Cathedral is the oldest site of continuous Christian worship in Britain
- Verulamium was the third largest city in Roman Britain. There is an excellent child-friendly museum, including spectacular mosaics
- The street market dates from 1553 and offers a wide mix of goods every Saturday (and Wednesday)
- As a former coaching town, St Albans has numerous historic inns and pubs
For more information see www.enjoystalbans.com
- What's changed from last year? Registration fees have been reduced; Tiered entry has been introduced; the Last Chance has been made double elimination (in order to guarantee everyone at least three matches each day); some match-lengths have been adjusted (to ensure timely completion of all flights)
- I registered and subscribed to one of the entry tiers, and to some side-pools. Now I find I can't attend. Can I have a full refund? Yes of course, provided your seat can be filled by somebody else.
- What catering will there be? Tea and coffee will be available for a nominal charge on an honesty-box basis. There is a pub (Three Hammers), also bakery, Indian and Chinese takeaways at Chiswell Green (7 minute walk)
- Why are we not in the larger hall this year? Because it's far too expensive compared to the registration of just £25